Friday, December 01, 2006

Offering my sincere condolence..

Below is a copy of condolence letter written by Prof. Don Baker at UBC regarding the pass away of Dr. James B. Palais, which happened on 7 August 2006. I, hereby, offer my sincere condolence to him.

"I just received the sad news from the University of Washington that James Palais passed away two days ago. It's a great loss to our field. I'm sure in a day or two somehow will send out an email obituary with details of his scholarly accomplishments.In the meantime, let me just say that it is not only his scholarship that will be missed. Those of us who were lucky enough to get to know Jim and work with him knew what a wonderful sense of humor he had. He also was a dedicated teacher of graduate students, determined to push his students to do the best they were capable of but doing so with a smile rather than a verbal whip. All of us who worked under him can say we have not only lost a mentor, we have also lost a friend."Sincerely,