Monday, January 29, 2007

Friends

Recently, I am struck by a fact how much I am popular here. If I say so, there may be those feeling slightly jealous, but I have to admit that there aren't really much to feel envy about dispite my gratefulness to those who are considerable and kind enough to think of me and invite me over to their gatherings. But I would have to mention that things are the most enjoyable when they are under your control. Even if the offered are the best cheese cakes in town, it may be turned into painful tasks of elimination when they are given more than you can consume. All the information and acquaintances that I have encounter last two years here and more before then have become accumulated over certain period of time, and I feel things are slipping away from my grips. As a result, I miss events that I make mistakes due to a lack of thoughts and deep consideration caused by pressured time limits, and I disappoint those who I shouldn't because I just don't have much energy left to smile and sensitively respond their kind attentions. When they happen, there aren't much for me to do except for pardoning myself to them and trying to give them reasonable comments, which are most likely, "sorry, I couldn't find any time to fit that into my schedule."!!! How conventional this sounds like.

Friday night, after making several phone calls to friends only to find out that I was the only one who didn't have a "special plan" for the night, I rather reluntantly made up my mind to spend some valuable time with Vicky and give some amusement to my neighbors. I went out with Vicky, my hand holding a string tied to her who's still wearing a Santa costume and tiny shoes in her four tiny feet walking and running around the neighborhood for all night.

Saturday, as a result of a carefully laid week-long plan, the youngest uncle and his wife, as well as Emily arrived home for dinner. You see, the best tactic to maintain one's social life when he/she is in the busiest state of mind is to have a gathering that everybody you need to see is all attending so that you don't have to arrange another meeting. Thanks to the laborings provided by cooperative works from my family members, we all had some valuable time together while having a tea time at home and later going out for dinner. It was a rather awkward meeting since all but Emily, my sister, and I could only speak Korean, there, conversations went on in a slightly different time zone because I couldn't eat the dinner and interpret at the same time. After dinner, Emily decided to stay the night at my place and we watched "the Night Banquet," a newly released Chinese Holliwood film until our eye lids allowed us to stay awake.

Sunday morning started with teeny-weeny screams here and there of my house, realizing I was late for church and so way my sister, Vicky cleared her throat as a morning ritual, mother shouted out calling for a breakfast, etc. (For God's sake, it was a Sunday morning~!!) I had no option but wildly waking Emily up, which obviously made her rather uncomfortable. well,,, a woman gotta do what a woman gotta do.... On our way to the town where her home and my church are located, we could have some peace to discuss the next presidential election in the US, in particular one of the rising Democrat candidate, Sen. Obama, and found handsome portion of our political thoughts are actually sharing the same but still found differences therein.
Then, in the church, my sister was Baptized, which was not planned. Witnessing someone baptized was some experience. Her face seemed glowing with joy and overwhelmingly emotional, and everybody greeted her being reborn as a Christian. I felt truly happy that I could be there near my sis, and could get to congratulate her.
Additionally, Byul, a friend of mine who I gave my word that I would help her out when she moves called me that she decided to move "last night," and asked me if I could come over. For christ~! that was supposed to be a weekend when people usually take a rest and recharge themselves for another week ahead. Since I always try to convince others that I am a woman of my words, I had no option but to take a cab and rush for Byul's house to help her. So several hours of laborings, I could finally be able to free myself from all the engagements of the day, and then I heard my coocoo clock hit the midnight. good lord~! Another day was gone without even realizing it!

Here I am, feeling soakingly tired, and finding myself nodding head and forcefully shaking it to get back to consciousness at my suffocating desk surrounded with stacked files, opening another new week.