Sunday, June 03, 2007

A change, again?

An offer from a seemingly prestigious employer certainly boosted my ego and made me feel honored, yet I had to spend my whole weekend speculating over possible pros and cons to take the offer. Perhaps, write all those down would help me to make the decision.

pros.
1. an employer with a better-known label,
2. possible step stone for a career path,
3. approximately CAD 7,000 of an annual salary raise,
4. possibly more extrovert work characteristic depending on how I manage the work,
5. up close contact with people having quite interesting backgrounds,
6. better work environments including more perks with a strong union (for better or for worse).
7. access to information.

cons.
1. three-months of provisional period; i can be laid-off aftermath,,(god, this would be horrible!)
2. I can be completely isolated if work is mismanaged,
3. seemingly more competitive work condition (a handsome amount of politics will be foreseeably involved),
4. leaving the current position, which I get relatively stable and friendly work condition and relationship with coworkers,
5. this can be seen as another career change in my CV,
6. my work will be evaluated by a single person, most likely, which may be advantageous or vice versa depending on situations.
7. need to get accustomed to a new environment.

What would you reckon?